David's Lamentation was inspired by a promising friendship I had made that was tragically cut short. Of all the uninvited visitors that came into the relationship, Passion was the most punctual. Passion can come in many forms. Think of how Cain's passion and jealousy led him to kill Abel, ending their familial bond and foreshadowing the brother-against-brother enmity that would plague the human race.
Applied more broadly, the poem mourns the general feeling of disdain for fraternal affection that exists in our society. Sam Keen notes:
"Close male friendship is the norm in most societies and is usually considered a more important source of intimacy than romantic relationships. The celebrated friendships of David and Jonathan or Achilles and Patroclus reflect a valuation more typical than the American pattern of acquaintanceship or a quick slap on the butt after making a touchdown."
Loving friendships like David's and Jonathan's or Ammon's and Alma's (see an earlier post) are simply not as valued as they used to be.
It is also the loss of fraternal love that is the cause of so much war and violence. "... and they shall fight every one against his brother, and every one against his neighbour; city against city, and kingdom against kingdom" (Isaiah 19:2).
Weeping makes a repeated appearance in the poem. The moisture from a reader's tears makes the final act of a play illegible. Van Gogh's artistic style lacks detail, as if his landscapes were being viewed through wet eyes. Tears constitute a key ingredient of an inedible soup. Time and forgetfulness can provide a healing influence, but much more slowly than desired.
The ostentatiously decorated masks at the party represent our attempts to hide our pain from those around us.
Although not explicitly recognized, Hope does make a brief cameo in the poem, albeit an inconspicuous one. The hint is in the reference to Pandora's box. Hope differs from the other personified emotions in that he won't go seeking for you voluntarily. Instead, you must undertake to find him where he is.
After composing the poem, I realized that I had revealed more of myself than I had initially intended. I considered not posting it in order to not leave myself so exposed. But then I wondered if I would be joining in the masquerade by doing so.






2 comments:
I loved the poem and that you wrote a commentary on it. It explains such depth that I just didn't know. It makes me wonder why all these English teachers teach what authors mean when how can they really know unless the author explained it. I get letting people interpret what it means to them, but assuming what the author meant isn't just. Nice poem, nice explination. Thanks for sharing this part of yourself!
I'm very proud of you
Post a Comment