Communication between two people may take on many forms including a letter, a telegram, an email, a text message, or a blog entry. In very rare cases, speaking directly to a person is the preferred means of communication. Often, the means of communication chosen depends on the type of information being communicated. In some cases, it is unclear just which form of communication should be used. For example, a death sentence may be communicated via a rap, a lullaby, or a memorandum.In general, communication falls into one of two categories: direct communication or indirect communication. Direct communications include speaking to a person, shouting at a person, or yelling at a person. Indirect communications include email, text messaging, and Petrarchan sonnets. A particular form of communication can be classified as either direct or indirect based on its Communication Ratio (or, if you like, its Ratio of Communication). This measure is expressed mathematically as a ratio of information communicated (I) to the amount of time spent speaking to a person (S) and is expressed formally as:
I/S
It is the goal of modern society is to maximize this ratio, or in other words, to allow a person to communicate as much information as possible to another person without actually having to speak to that person. For further information about the effects of maximizing the Communication Ratio, consult any online dating service.
Let us examine a series of indirect communications (i.e. emails) between Todorojo and his roommate. Names have been changed to protect the made-fun-of.
Todorojo to Todorojo's roommate:
Dear Roommate,
Bills this month come to $25.95 per person.
Sincerely,
Todorojo
Todorojo's roommate to Todorojo:
Great. Could you do me a favor, though, and tell me in person or write it down and give it to me at home? Why it bugs me to get an email...I don't know. It's probably because I'm a very direct person and I don't like communicating indirectly.
Thanks,
Todorojo's RoommateThanks,
In this indirect communication sent to Todorojo by his roommate, a self-identified "direct person," Todorojo's roommate asks that Todorojo follow certain directions, namely, that Todorojo use a more direct form of communication to inform his roommate of how much he owes Todorojo for the monthly bills. Todorojo's roommate's directions are direct, in the sense that they are clear, unambiguous, and forthright; however, they are also indirect, in the sense that they were communicated using an indirect form of communication, namely, email.
The irony of the situation, of course, is that Todorojo's roommate directed his direct directions (or perhaps more appropriately, his indirect direct directions since they were communicated using an indirect form of communication) to Todorojo using an indirect form of communication (i.e. email), thus indirectly underscoring the importance of using indirect communication as a means by which critical information (in this case direct directions) can be communicated. In other words, Todorojo's roommate's indirect direct directions are direct evidence of his subconscious need to communicate with Todorojo indirectly. This is ironic because it appears to be in direct opposition to Todorojo's roommate's direct assertion that he is in fact a "direct person." By sending Todorojo direct directions via an indirect means of communication, Todorojo's roommate had a direct influence on the direction of this blog entry, albeit indirectly (since these were clearly not his direct intentions).
Allow me to direct your attention to the response sent by Todorojo to his roommate:
Dear Roommate,
I agree that some things are best transmitted directly (i.e. in person). Among these things are sign language, marriage proposals, and infectious diseases. However, some things are better communicated "indirectly." Here are some reasons why I use email and other forms of indirect communication, even though they are admittedly impersonal.
1. To preserve the accuracy of the information communicated. You can be assured that the information you receive is accurate, knowing that I did the calculations and sent you the information immediately after paying the bills. Otherwise, I have to rely on my overworked, ever-dwindling number of brain cells to remember the numbers. I could write it down for you or call you and leave a message on your cell phone, but aren't those also "indirect" forms of communication?
2. Convenience
Since I pay and receive the bills electronically, the convenience of being able to send you you the information right away is most enticing. It also means that you can write a check at the time most convenient for you, as opposed to me interrupting your dinner, reading, or other pleasurable activity (notice how I didn't include "studying" in the list as you might actually welcome being interrupted while studying).
3. It serves as a record
Brainpower being a very precious commodity in my case (see explanation from #1), I often find myself inquiring of myself, "Did I remember to tell my roommate what he owes me this month?" By sending you an email, I have documented proof of what I have done, and I can tell my poor confused cerebellum to rest easy.
So that is why I've been sending you emails. If you still want me to communicate the figures to you in a more personal manner, I would be happy to do so. I really don't care as long as I get my money.
1. To preserve the accuracy of the information communicated. You can be assured that the information you receive is accurate, knowing that I did the calculations and sent you the information immediately after paying the bills. Otherwise, I have to rely on my overworked, ever-dwindling number of brain cells to remember the numbers. I could write it down for you or call you and leave a message on your cell phone, but aren't those also "indirect" forms of communication?
2. Convenience
Since I pay and receive the bills electronically, the convenience of being able to send you you the information right away is most enticing. It also means that you can write a check at the time most convenient for you, as opposed to me interrupting your dinner, reading, or other pleasurable activity (notice how I didn't include "studying" in the list as you might actually welcome being interrupted while studying).
3. It serves as a record
Brainpower being a very precious commodity in my case (see explanation from #1), I often find myself inquiring of myself, "Did I remember to tell my roommate what he owes me this month?" By sending you an email, I have documented proof of what I have done, and I can tell my poor confused cerebellum to rest easy.
So that is why I've been sending you emails. If you still want me to communicate the figures to you in a more personal manner, I would be happy to do so. I really don't care as long as I get my money.
Signed,
Todorojo
Other arguments for using indirect communication include:
- The person with whom you are communicating may be so ugly that emotional damage may be incurred from prolonged exposure in his or her presence.
- The person with whom you are communicating may have overactive salivary glands that cause the person to shower you with slavering nastiness every time the person speaks. Be particularly cautious of the letter "P" when employed by such persons.






2 comments:
Does commenting on a blog count as indirect communication? or indirect direct communication? or direct indirect communication?
Since my roommate and I would email each other while we were both sitting at our kitchen table, I'm baffled by your roommate's dislike of this extremely useful and efficient form of communication. Has he also requested the electric company to send a representative to the house to inform him of the monthly bills?
Post a Comment