
I love the hymns. And I like to sing them. In the shower. Loudly.
Here are some of my most favorites:
O Savior, Thou who Wearest a Crown
Guide us O Thou Great Jehovah
Rejoice, the Lord is King
Though Deepening Trials
Joseph Smith's first Prayer
If You Could Hie to Kolob
Glory to God on High
Each Life That Touches Ours for Good
Sadly, this last hymn is sometimes referred to as, "the funeral song." I find this designation most unfortunate. Why must we only sing our gratitude for our friends once they're dead? Forgive me as I wax nostalgic for a moment to share an experience from my mission. One evening we went to visit a man who had scheduled his baptism for the previous Sunday, but failed to show up. You can imagine his embarrassment when we came to visit him several days after the no-show. My companion and I decided to do something a little different during the visit. We sang to him, "Each Life That Touches Ours for Good." The mood of the visit changed completely. The man, who had been worried that his unfulfilled commitment had tainted out friendship with him, relaxed as the Spirit communicated to him otherwise. He asked us, "How did you know to choose that particular song to sing?" While most of my mission I felt was spent wandering aimlessly, this was a time when I knew God had intervened. And he did it through a song.
Do you have a favorite hymn? Which is it and why?






6 comments:
Ye Elders of Israel -because it reminds me of the spiritually powerful time in the halls of the MTC.
Praise to the Man-great song for street preaching on the soapbox
One song I wish they would put back in the English Hymnbook is "Come thou Fount of Every Blessing" The Germans still have this in their hymnbook and we sang the blazes out of that one.
Families Can Be Together Forever - for it's simplicity and touching words.
If You Could Hie to Kolob - so many fond memories from college years with that one.
Spirit of God - oh, just the power and spirit behind the words when reading it or singing it. Gives me chills every time.:)
I also love 'Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing' and kinda wish it was put back in the hymn books.
Overall I love the hymn book and almost every song in there. But those I love to sing and just get a light feeling inside each time I sing them.
One of my favorite hymns is There is a Green Hill Far away.
The reason being is becaue of the last line. Oh, dearly, dearly has He loved and we must love him too.
I guess it will always remind me of my patriarchal blessing when it tells me that I need to learn to love the Lord.
Because I Have Been Given Much-how I want to live.
Where Can I Turn for Peace-a comfort in the loud world.
We sounded good too!
'Though Deepening Trials' is one of my favorites as well. I think we should have Liza let us sing it in sacrament mtg.
Post a Comment