Monday, February 25, 2008

Love


a poem

tender mercies, saving graces
picking partners, switching places
games of cat-and-mouse and chases
breaking-up and saving faces

slighted, blighted, unrequited
say good morning and goodnight-ed
waiting, longing, wanting, craving
weapon-wielding, never yielding

stealthy, sneaky, tongue-in-cheeky
grabbing, stealing, thick-as-thieving
slices, dices, and entices
grips and vices, smell of spices

looking ‘round the corner, spies you
chops you up, sautés and fries you
living, breathing, boiling, seething
frothing, fuming, all-consuming

venting, vexing, most perplexing
sick of stressing, what a mess!-ing
softly burning like a candle
crying, flying off the handle

shouting, yelling, go to hell!-ing
cuddling, kissing, never telling
knows-no-bounds-ing, all surrounding
pulsing, pounding, help! I’m drowning!

kneeling, reeling, funny-feeling
falling, keeling, so surreal-ing
jarring, barring, biting, scarring
compromise and DTR-ing

squirrels speak, “squeak squeakin’ squeaker”
up-a-creek it’s looking bleaker
weaving in and out of danger
never met but not a stranger

slipping, sliding, twistie-tying
patience waning, hydroplaning
sweating, fretting, unrelenting
How about we just be friends?-ing

gumballs, gumdrops, gummy gumption
belly aches and false assumptions
sugar-coated, down your throat-ed
makes you feel a little bloated

guinea pigs in crowded spaces
jealous rages trapped in cages
tragic, mainc, let’s not panic
overbearing, sycophantic

joy, elation, suffocation
cockamamie constipation
conversation, convolution
fission, fusion, dissolution

softly sighing, lullaby-ing
gently dreaming, wake up screaming
lotions, potions, mixed emotions
diamonds tossed into the ocean

going once and twice and sold!
just beginning, getting old
waxing pallid, getting pale
faded, jaded, not for sale

cankered, callous, filled with malice
drinking poison from a chalice
fits of laughter, get the shaft-er
living hap'ly ever after

A note from the author: This poem is open ended. Feel free to add a stanza if you like. Now that V-Day is past and gone, you can share how you really feel about that frustrating feeling called love.

6 comments:

Miss Sarah in Georgia said...

Profile of the perfect wife, poems about love, are you trying to tell us something? Just teasing ... I'm always impressed with your poetic contributions.

Chantalita said...

I second Sarah on the impressive poetic contributions. Pretty impressive. (I, however, won't be writing a stanza.)

Christina said...

I love the tumbling feel to the words... really roll off the tongue. anyways I thought it was awesome. I stink at poetry and so I really admire people who can write it. One comment though-- are you sure "DTR" wasn't actually "DDR"? ;-)

Crutches said...

now insecure without a lure
intentions pure, may I have a tour?
not convincing and not wincing
resort to whining or lonely dining

Adam said...

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who thinks that love isn't butterflies and lollipops all the time.

Chantalita said...

Maybe not butterflies but definitely lollipops...