Wednesday, October 24, 2007

It's going to be a long winter

Seasonal Depression
a choose your own adventure poem

Spring, come early;
Spring, come soon.
Spring, come quickly, or I'll
Spring to the moon!

Alternate endings include:
1. Spring into a lagoon!
2. Spring onto a harpoon!
3. Die.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you know what I was, how I lived? You know
what despair is; then
winter should have meaning for you.

I did not expect to survive,
earth suppressing me. I didn't expect
to waken again, to feel
in damp earth my body
able to respond again, remembering
after so long how to open again
in the cold light
of earliest spring -

afraid, yes, but among you again
crying yes risk joy

in the raw wind of the new world.


Snowdrops, by Louise Gluck
The Wild Iris, HarperCollins 1992.

Ben said...

It seems that you've started a trend of odd winter poems, todorojo. Here's my contribution:

Weird-Bird

Birds are flyin' south for winter.
Here's the Weird-Bird headin' north,
Wings a-flappin', beak a-chatterin',
Cold head bobbin' back 'n' forth.
He says, "It's not that I like ice
Or freezin' winds and snowy ground.
It's just sometimes it's kind of nice
To be the only bird in town."

by Shel Silverstein

Adam said...

Thanks, guys. But your poems about a joyful flower blooming in the springtime and head-bobbin' bird are kind of detracting from the themes of hopelessness and misery I was going for.

Chantalita said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chantalita said...

Emily Dickinson
clr gif

There’s a certain slant of light,
On winter afternoons,
That oppresses, like the weight
Of cathedral tunes.

Heavenly hurt it gives us;
We can find no scar,
But internal difference
Where the meanings are.

None may teach it anything,
’T is the seal, despair,—
An imperial affliction
Sent us of the air.

When it comes, the landscape listens,
Shadows hold their breath;
When it goes, ’t is like the distance
On the look of death.

(I thought this went along nicely with your whole hopelessness/misery, death/despair thing going.)

Adam said...

That's more like it

Moonsahra said...

Do you know the words to the M*A*S*H theme song? I think it would match your theme quite well..."Suicide is painless...."

Adam said...

I'm not familiar with it. Perhaps you could sing it for me sometime?

Hokie said...

I read this poem today by Nicanor Parra and it reminded me of your blog. The problem is that has a unique format that I can’t put properly in this comment, the parts where it says poco a poco it descends like stairs.

Solo

Poco
a
poco
me
fui
quedando
solo.

Imperceptimblemente
poco
a
poco.

Triste es la situación
Del que gozó de buena compañía
Y la perdió por un motivo u otro.
No me quejo de nada: tuve todo.

Pero
sin
darme
cuenta

Como un árbol que pierde una a una sus hojas

Me fui-
quedando
solo
poco
a
poco.