Sunday, October 29, 2006

Whoops!

The other day I went to the student health office to get a flu shot. I am an asthmatic; so when I get the flu, it's as if each of my lungs gets its own flu. So even though I don't much care for needles, I bite the bullet and get my annual flu shot so I can breathe easily during the flu season.

As the nurse prepared the syringe, I kept my line of sight straight forward so as to not see the woman jab her shiny instrument into my unsuspecting flesh. Better to experience as little of the ordeal as possible. I took a deep breath, hoping it wouldn't be the last I'd take. I felt the familiar prick as I thought, "There, see it wasn't so bad. It's almost over." That's when I heard it. The word pierced me like a second needle.

"Whoops!" said the nurse.

I would like to take this moment to say that "Whoops" is not a word I hope any of you hears from a health professional, especially one that is presently administering to you. While I stood there with my eyes squinted shut and my teeth clenched, I contemplated all the possibilities of what "Whoops" might mean. Could she have meant:

"Whoops! I forgot to change the needle after the last injection."
OR
"Whoops! I hope you didn't actually need that arm."
OR
"Whoops! You may want to consider renewing your life insurance policy."

I didn't wonder long because I felt something cold running down my arm. The dimwitted nurse had squirted the vaccine juice all over my arm.

"Um... I think you may have gotten some," she remarked unconvincingly.

So basically what little faith I had in the nurses at the student health office is now gone. Gone like the vaccine juice that should have gone in my arm. Gone like my hopes of avoiding the flu this season. Gone like... well you get the idea.

5 comments:

Cindy said...

It's also rather disturbing when the person cutting your hair says "Whoops." This frequently happened when I was a kid, and I always knew it meant that my hair would end up about 5 inches shorter than I wanted it to be.

Moonsahra said...

Maybe you shouldn’t get too pessimistic about this situation. Really, if you think about it, there are potential benefits to having the flu. These could include (but are by no means limited to) the following:

1. Sympathy: Who doesn’t like to have a little extra attention paid to them? Someone may even pamper you a little bit when you’re sick.
2. A day off: I know I certainly fantasize about not going to school one day and just staying in bed. Here’s the excuse you’ve been looking for!
3. In the interest of science: I’m sure there’s some sort of study you could sign up for that needs your flu virus.

So, maybe you should actually go back to the health center and thank the nurse for opportunity she’s given you.

Anonymous said...

Yikes! Thanks for the reminder to get the flu shot...but should I really??

Brien said...

I love the new name of your blog...

Ben said...

The new blog name has a nice ring to it. And your digital home wouldn't be complete without a linen closet, right?