This poem is dedicated to the many pets who had the ill-fate of coming to the Allred home. May they rest in peace.Once I had a turtle.
Our backyard was her home.
She had a penchant for our grass, where she would freely roam.
Once I had a turtle.
Mary was her name.
She went through a lawnmower and never was the same.
Once I had a rat snake.
I'd take him to my school.
All the girls would scream out loud; the guys thought he was cool.
Once I had a rat snake.
He'd squeeze the rats 'till dead.
One day he wasn't hungry and a rat ate him instead.
Once I had a piglet.
His belly touched the ground.
He rolled just like a bowling ball; his shape was just as round.
Once I had a piglet.
This pig my dad did hunt.
One shot was all it took to turn poor piggy into lunch.
To those of you who want a cuddly puppy please be wary.
For any pet can turn into a scene that's very scary.
Before you go to buy a pet, remember what I've said.
Perhaps 'tis best to visualize the pet as if 'twere dead.






1 comments:
I like this poem. I don't know about the final gruesome quatrain. That's a little freaky.
I would add stanza about Jackoraloprah, our ill-fated hamster. She ended up in the lining of the couch. Luckily Scott saw her little pawprints pressing from the inside of the upholstery late one night, which lengthened her stinky existence for another few months.
Post a Comment